Dicky's Doodles &Scribbles

Cartoons,editorials and comment about current events and more.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

SUV Epiphany



SUV Epiphany

I was stuck in rush hour traffic in my SUV.
Driving to my McMansion in the suburbs
Which is twice as big as it needs to be.
It’s just my daily routine, a 30 mile commute.
So what if I burn a lot of gas, I don’t give a hoot!

I’m sorry all them soldiers are over in Iraq.
And I’m sorry that a lot of them wont be coming back.
Fighting a war on terror to protect our oil supply.
But I can’t adjust my lifestyle it’s too important to me.
So I keep on listening to my Ipod and driving my SUV.

The traffic started slowing down and then ground to a halt.
Everybody gave me dirty looks but it aint my fault!
Then a funny thing happened to them songs in my ear
Instead of Black Eyed Peas I began to hear
Songs straight from the sixties, a long, long time ago.

I heard somebody singing “I almost cut my hair”
I barely remember how I felt back then and there.
The voice went on “I’m going to let my freak flag fly”
I vaguely recall taking a stand but I don’t remember why.
But it came back to me when I heard “Four dead in Ohio!”

The next thing I heard was “A hard rain’s going to fall.”
I knew what it meant, it sharpened my recall.
We can’t escape the consequences to the earth of our lifestyle.
It depletes the world’s resources and causes global warming,
Super hurricanes and rising seas that might inundate us all.

The traffic started moving and it shook me from my reverie
But I had a strange feeling my life wasn’t what it used to be.
I decided to buy a hybrid and donate to the World Food Bank
And I would start burning ethanol blend in my fuel tank.
I wondered what my wife would think when I told we had to move.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home